Before there was Ronin, there was Ry-Man. I went by this stage name from 2009 (when I first started making music on Garageband) until 2017 (when I was working on my newest album, Origins). During that time period, I released three Ry-Man albums: Fundamentalism, Objectivism, and The Bigger Picture. While The Bigger Picture has aged well enough to remain available, the technical limitations and immaturity of the first two albums eventually led me to completely eradicate their presence on the internet sometime in 2014.
Despite the flaws of my earlier music, there were still some solid tracks that came out of that time period that I've frequently told people about. I've had the idea of remastering and rereleasing these tracks for a while but between grad school, work, traveling, and other music projects, I just couldn't find the time or the willingness to do so during the past few years. After taking a much needed break from the new Ronin project, however, I've finally found time to put this compilation album together. So I'm pleased to finally present to you The Fundamentals, the best Ry-Man tracks from the "Isms" chapter of my music career.
The music on this album obviously isn't my best work, but if you're interested in hearing someone in their late teens explore and develop their sound through hands-on experimentation and self-teaching, then by all means give it a listen. Enjoy!
released April 26, 2018
- All songs produced, written, recorded, and mixed by Ryan Edwards (unless otherwise noted).
- All songs mastered by Ryan Edwards and Nick Dragoni.
- "Like That" and "Like That Revisited" cowritten by Alberto Guzman, Charles Mbatia, and Nate Baker.
- "Knewskool" and "Knewskool Revisited" cowritten by Alberto Guzman.
- "Thought Process" cowritten by Gabriela Farfan.
- "Getaway" cowritten by Stephen Henderson.
- All interludes recorded with Nate Baker's iPhone on March 7, 2011.
- Catalyst, C-Mba, Finesse, Gabriela Farfan, and Stephen Henderson appear courtesy of themselves.